Many people think all accidents with 18-wheeler accidents are equal in regard to the law. But that is not the case.
It is true 18-wheeler accidents are a matter of criminal and civil law consequences. But the application of the laws is different in almost every 18-wheeler accident.
The differences between each 18 wheeler accident can make a difference in your legal representation needs. It can make a difference in the compensation you receive.
Let’s look at what these differences are and how they impact your civil compensations.
18 Wheeler Accident
You never thought it would happen to you or someone you love. But it did and now you know you need legal representation.
This representation will help you get the compensation you need to recover, heal, and begin to live again.
What is an 18-wheeler accident? There are many complicated legal cases for accidents when they involve an 18-wheeler. They are not always easy to define.
Filing criminal and/or civil charges is an expensive process. It requires stellar and experienced civil attorneys.
Learn More About Your Legal Options
No matter how the 18-wheeler accident occurred you should find out more about your legal options. That way you can have the representation you need when fighting for your compensation needs.
We have an esteemed knowledge base of state and federal laws which apply to the driver and the company who employs the driver.
Sometimes there are even third-parties attached to civil cases. This happens many times when we represent plaintiffs in 18-wheeler accidents.
Third-party legal cases happen when companies have trailers or cargo. These trailers or cargos are owned by someone other than the company who hires the truck driver.
Every truck accident case takes breaking down into the inner workings of the trucking company.
You need knowledge of who is the cargo company, the truck driver, the insurance companies, and anyone else attached to the 18-wheeler.
This is of the utmost importance no matter how far-reaching the connection may be between the party and the truck company and driver.
It is why we are the best at what we do. Represent you.
There is a range of legal consequences for 18-wheeler crashes. We make sure every, single consequence is on the table while we negotiate compensation and court hearings.
The trucking industry is regulated by federal and state law standards. There are two agencies in charge of investigations of 18-wheeler accidents. They are;
- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Also, each state has its own Department of Transportation to regulate any intra-state commercial trucks.
It is very important to find out if the 18-wheeler crash was following all the agencies mandates.
It is also important to find out if the 18-wheeler crash was following the state regulations. If not, which ones contributed to the crash.
Common 18-Wheeler Regulations and Mandates
Some of these regulations, include, but are not limited to;
- The truck driver has a Commercial Driver License
- The truck driver has to take timely and adequate breaks with enforced rest periods which are strictly abided.
- Commercial trucks need to have air brake systems which meet federal law. They also need other components which meet applicable laws and standards.
There are many more 18-wheeler regulations and standards we can detail but the list would be very long.
But in the world of legal theory, if we prove some of the above was not taken care of or did not occur there is product liability. As well as other forms of liability.
18-Wheeler Accident Settlements
If you have had an 18-wheeler accident you do not want to wait one more day to hire an attorney to represent you.
There are several ways a skilled attorney like ourselves can help you with your legal case. Your life has been disrupted. You have had tremendous suffering and rehabilitation needs.
You need skilled attorneys who can help you avoid or refuse the small settlement offers insurance companies offer.
18-Wheeler Accident Settlement Criteria
We make a determination on what your 18-wheeler accident settlement should be by using the following criteria;
- Your physical injuries – how extensive are your injuries? Why type of injuries do you have? How much are your pain and suffering?
- We help you receive the best medical opinions and treatment from experts respected in the medical field.
- Medical expenses – How much are your medical expenses? What was your treatment thus far and how much more will you need in the future?
- How much-lost wages have occurred? Your entitlement to compensation in any personal injury claim is based on negligence.
- What is your lost earning potential? What would you have earned if you had been able to go to work? Instead, since the accident, you have had to miss work to recover from your injuries.
- How much pain and suffering has occurred?
- Do you suffer from a lack of sleep due to the pain?
- Do you suffer from a lack of activity participation due to the pain?
- What is your loss of consortium (or companionship)? Sometimes, in the worst cases, 18-wheeler accidents cause death or a lifelong injury. There are legal compensation damages you can receive due to that loss.
Our firm helps you get what your entitled compensation. We know what your case is worth and we fight to help you get it.
No Substitute for Expert Knowledge
We have the extensive experience you need and our legal skill set is such that sometimes we never have to go to trial.
We often get adequate and generous settlements before taking the case to court. We try to get your case the most favorable results possible.
There is no substitute for expert knowledge. We help get our civil litigants the most compensation for their pain and suffering. Our legal focus is on making a positive difference to your cases’ end result.
There are few other civil lawyers who know the laws as well as we do and will explain each step as you go through the legal civil justice process.
What’s more, we care as we walk you through the stages of your civil legal process.
Your Next Steps
Your next steps need to be fighting ones so you can receive the best results for your 18 wheeler accident. An accident which was not your fault and for which you deserve compensation.
The only way to do this is to have a smart, pro-active, and caring attorney. A skilled civil attorney who will represent you every step of the way.
Please call us today so we can fight to get you compensation for your pain and suffering.