Boatings accidents are very common in the sea and the country’s coastal regions like Miami witness dozens of fatal boating accidents in the deep sea.
In the year 2020, almost a hundred accidents were reported off the coast of Miami, with only five of them proving to be fatal.
In such accidents, there can be a huge loss of property, and people can sustain a lot of injuries, but you do not need a regular personal injury lawyer.
In such cases, you need a Miami boating accident lawyer to help you fight the case. A boat accident lawyer is well versed in the intricacies of such cases as they have expertise in complicated maritime laws.
Accidents Covered by Maritime Law
Different types of accidents come under the umbrella of maritime law. Here are some of the most common types of boat accidents that might require you to hire an experienced lawyer.
- A collision between two ships or vessels.
- Cruising the boat under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances.
- Speeding the vessel over the stipulated limits.
- Lack of proper boat maintenance or machinery failure.
Statutes of Limitations in Maritime Law
Statutes of limitations dictate a time allotted to you between the actual incident and filing a legal action for the incident. Statutes of limitation in maritime laws do not include any state laws related to reporting of an incident.
If you are unaware of such laws in Miami, a Miami boating accident lawyer will navigate you through such laws.
Here are some of the most common maritime statutes of limitations in Miami that involve a boat accident.
- Death on the High Seas Act – As per the act, a person’s family has three years to file a legal action for the wrongful death or the incident.
- The Jones Act – If an employee involved in the transportation of goods sustains an injury because of an accident, they have three years to file a personal injury claim.
- Longshore Harbor and Workers’ Compensation Act – When an employee is working on a vessel and injured during their duty, they only have one year to take legal action to receive any sort of compensation.
What to Do if You are Ever in a Boating Accident?
If you have been involved in a boating accident and want to take legal action against the parties involved, you must follow these steps.
- Firstly, you must visit a qualified doctor for the primary examination and treatments after the accident. You must visit the doctor even if you have sustained minor injuries. After your visit to the hospital, collect all the bills and reports in one place and make a copy of all the documents.
- Ensure that you collect the insurance information from your employer or the other vessel involved in the accident.
- File an official report to the coast guard and the state’s waterway department of the incident and all the injuries sustained.
- Keep a record of all the medical bills, insurance information, complaint copies, and any further communication with any parties involved. Having proper paperwork for everything involved in the accident will help the lawyers build your case.
If you have been involved in a boat accident, you must hire an experienced attorney to help you receive rightful compensation for the damages.