Undoubtedly, there is nothing more rewarding than building your house from scratch. It’s not just a unique but also an exciting experience. Creating a custom house gives you the freedom to choose everything you want in your house, from appliances to custom cabinetry to floor coverings. Additionally, your house will have the function and flexibility to eliminate unoccupied space and adapt to your needs. Whether you enjoy separate rooms or an open floor plan, it’s your call!
But let’s not drift too far into fairytales; building a house from scratch isn’t all rainbows and sunshine. It can be a challenging uphill battle even if you’re an expert. However, remember that building a house doesn’t have to be overwhelming. So, how can you make building a custom house stress-free?
Here are some essential things you should know before building a custom house.
Hire the Right Contractor
It’ll come as no surprise, but the contractor you choose will play a significant role in shaping your house. As a result, you need to take your time and select the best possible contractor. Finding a reliable and professional contractor can help you make the entire process more enjoyable and smoother. Not just that, an established contractor might come with connections you can benefit from. Perhaps if they have excellent working relationships with inspectors and suppliers, it could provide you with better prices.
Hence, when searching for a contractor, don’t forget to consider the following:
- Check what safety measures the contractor will put in place. Besides ensuring a hazard-free zone for the workers working on the project, you need to ensure the contractor is paying attention to the equipment’s safety. For instance, you can see whether the potential contractor is fulfilling scissor lift safety requirements to prevent any on-site accidents.
- Remember to conduct background inspections. Even if a family member or friend has suggested a contractor they’ve worked with before, you should create some credentials. Consider getting the company name and address and ensure that the company has adequate insurance coverage.
- Get several estimates. Talk to different contractors and get estimates from about four. Ensure you’re comparing oranges to oranges when you get various estimates. Don’t forget to look at work methods, building materials, timelines, and other considerations that might differ by the contractor.
Make a Budget
Before building a house, you need to determine what you can afford. Hence, consider creating a realistic budget for how much you can spend. But how can you make a budget? Developing a budget for a new house begins with determining how expensive a house you wish to create. As a result, decide how much money you can actually put into your home. Additionally, you need to make an extensive list of the expenses that can be incurred from the start till the end of the project. You can include costs like:
- Loan fees
- Moving expenses
- Utility access fees
- Purchase price of land
- Construction costs
With a comprehensive list of potential expenses, you’ll be prepared to estimate your costs. But instead of taking a random guess at numbers, consider depending on an expert to give you a better idea of things you’ll have to pay for.
Determine Your Design and Style Preferences
Keep in mind your design style is one of the most crucial things to know before building your house. But when it comes to your style preferences, do you feel like you have a lot of ideas but don’t know what to concentrate on? The answer begins with first learning to distinguish your design. While some can answer the question instantly, others might find it challenging.
Thankfully, many inspirational pictures and information are available to help you decide what appeals to your tastes. After collecting all pictures, pay attention to the colors and textures used in every picture, helping you determine the style that fits your taste. Consider visiting sites like Houzz and look for designs that catch your attention. Besides that, you can also take different quizzes to help you define your style.
Create a Plan
One of the essential things you must have before building your house is a plan to guide the entire project. Creating an outline before building your house helps you stay ahead, saving time and money. So, how can you create an efficient plan? You need to think about everything you want your house to have. Some of the most popular features you need to think about during planning are:
- Outside spaces: including a garden or lawn in your outdoor area can considerably boost the value of your house. Consider planting flowers to enhance the aesthetic look. You can also include outdoor lighting, decks, and an irrigation system.
- Size of the house: decide the number of rooms you want in your house. Remember that your house size must fit your budget and cater to your space needs.
- Furniture positioning: decide where you want to position your bed, chairs, and other furniture. Consider the play stations for your children or your office space.
- Layout: Thinking that building is an expensive investment, it’s always smart to stick to a straightforward layout. Avoid concentrating a lot on complicated structures.
- Stand positions: select the direction your house will face wisely. Think about the sun’s position in all periods. For instance, if your rooms face south, they will stay cold, but they might get extreme sun rays if they face west.
Find the Perfect Location
There’s a reason everyone says, ‘location, location, and location!’ The location of your new house is essential. Remember, your location will considerably influence your life more than the house you build. It’s where you will spend the next couple of years raising your family and creating bonds with neighbors, making it essential to find the best location.
So, how can you find the best location for your house? Before finalizing a location, consider its proximity to schools, work, and shopping. There’s a high chance you don’t want to drive hours to get to the office daily. Additionally, keep your proximity to schools and colleges in mind if you have children.
Alongside, no matter where you build your house, you must feel safe there. Don’t forget to investigate safety data for potential locations. Moreover, to choose the best location, consider your habits and hobbies. Do you enjoy being near a lot of activities, or are you the type of person who loves going for long walks?
Undoubtedly, building a house from the start can be challenging. But understand that it doesn’t have to be that way! Before building your house, you must know the things mentioned above to ensure a smooth and hassle-free project.